The attached video “The Story of Bottled Water” came to me over Facebook.
As marketers and business people there are some keys things we can learn from this video. First, we should rethink the idea of buying bottled water. Second, this video is a perfect example of how video can be influential on the web.
So much of what we do as business people has to do with influencing someone to take action. Whether it’s influencing a potential customer to buy from you, influencing an employee or partner to join your cause or (in the non-profit charity world) influencing someone to donate.
The attached video influenced me to stop drinking bottled water.
There are a few lessons we can take from this:
#1: The web is your platform for getting your message out.
- Did I see this video on TV? No.
- Did the makers of “The Story of Bottled Water” video spend thousands of dollars producing a 30-second commercial and buying TV ad space? No.
- Is this video influential. Yes!
- Should you be using the web based videos to get your message out? Yes!
#2: Take a complicated topic and make it simple
- I’m sure many people out there didn’t know who to believe when comes to the questions: “Should I buy bottled water or not?” or “Am I really doing that much harm drinking bottled water?”
- This video takes a complicated topic and makes it simple, that’s why it is effective and influential.
- Similarly, as business owners we should think about how we can take complicated topics our clients are wondering about and make it simple for them. In doing so, we become influential.